AirHonest is supported by its readers. We may earn an affiliate commission when you buy through our links. Thanks ❤️
Winix has a reputation for offering high-quality and multi-featured air purifiers at relatively low prices. The AM90 is one of the best recommendations from this South Korean company. It seems to fit the bill for buyers stuck between a tight budget and a demand for a high-functioning air purifier.
What does it bring to the table? Is there anything that you need to know before paying for it? That’s what we’ll be finding out in this Winix AM90 review.
Winix AM90 is Best For:
- Homeowners with medium-to-large spaces- it’s designed to cover rooms as big as 360 sq. ft. In addition, it replaces the air in the room 4 times every hour which is quite impressive.
- People living with furry pets at home– this unit has a True HEPA filter to remove pet dander, fur, and hair. A True HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) is a filter with dense fibers capable of removing 99.97% of all contaminants measuring 0.3 microns in size.
- Those who have Asthma– the True HEPA and Activated Charcoal filters on this purifier removes most air contaminants from the air, thereby making breathing easy.
- Smokers and people living with smokers– the Activated Charcoal on this purifier is ideal for removing cigarette smoke, and other household smells and odors.
- People looking for an affordable air purifier– this model falls under the ‘affordable’ category. Its replacement filter kit (Winix 115115 Replacement Filter A) is relatively affordable, too.
Assembly and Set up Review
If you are among the vast majority of people who don’t like assembling new products, Winix has you in mind. This purifier comes fully assembled and ready to purify the air in your room.
Before plugging it in, though, you’ll need to remove the plastic wrapper on the filters. The filters are accessed by removing the front panel, and you won’t need any tool for this. This is the same process that you’ll follow when replacing the filters in the future.
Construction Design Review
From an aesthetic sense, Winix seems to have skimped on this unit’s appearance in favor of affordability and functionality. Well, we don’t want to mean that it won’t look great in your living room or bedroom.
Actually, its unibody design featuring an all-white theme and a perforated grill gives it an incredibly clean look. We expect this model to blend nicely with most decors. It might also interest most people who prefer a minimalist look and feel.
The AM90 utilizes the popular bottom-to-top airflow design that pretty much all modern purifiers use. The air-in vent and the filters are at the front covered by the front panel, while the aesthetically-pleasing grill at the top covers the air-out vent.
Size, Weight, and Placement
This air purifier is relatively large at 15.1’’ (width) by 8.7’’ (depth) by 23.5’’ (height). It also has a substantial heft to it at 16.5 pounds.
Its size and weight can be attributed to its large air filters and the motor that are both designed for medium-to-large rooms.
Switching gear to placement, the Winix AM90 is meant to stay on the floor. Now, where precisely you position the air purifier can make or break your experience. As a rule of thumb, remember to put it as close to the source of the pollutants as possible. This helps in trapping the contaminants much faster.
You might also want to place it near a doorway between 2 rooms. Not so many people know of this trick despite its magic in capturing harmful or irritating particles before getting into the rooms.
How the Winix AM90 works
An air purifier is only as good as its filtration system. We are quite intrigued that despite its relatively low price tag, this unit utilizes a 4-stage filtration system;
- Pre-filter– this one is responsible for the preliminary screening. It captures PM 10 particles, including pet fur, hair, and dander, before reaching the expensive True HEPA and Activated Charcoal filters. Essentially, it protects the subsequent screens from being clogged by coarser pollutants.
- Activated Charcoal filter– this filter is treated with carbon dioxide, hot air, and steam to make it perfect for adsorbing organic gases, odors, and smells.
- True HEPA filter– a True HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) is a mat of fiberglass fibers that have been proven to stop 99.97% of air contaminants measuring 0.3 microns. These include mold spores, viruses, bacteria, and pet dander, dust, and dust mites.
- Plasmawave Technology– this is a sort of ionizer, although Winix does not call it so. Winix says that it generates positive and negative ions that bond with natural water vapor in the air to form hydroxyls. Hydroxyl ions are safe and effective at scrubbing air pollutants and harmful pathogens in the air. Good news, you can turn this function off if you are not comfortable using it.
Controls and Modes Review
The control panel is a basic interface with clearly labeled buttons. From the control panel, you can cycle between 4 fan speeds (low, medium, high, and turbo). You can also set this purifier on Auto or Sleep mode. The latter will dim the lights and adjust the fan to a whisper-quiet level that won’t disturb your sleep.
Another valuable feature of this model is the Smart Sensor that detects the air quality and displays the results via an LED indicator.
The AM90 comes Wi-Fi enabled, and it’s compatible with the Winix Smart App. This is a big boon if you love the convenience of operating the air purifier from your phone.
Besides letting you play around with the settings, the App also displays real-time indoor air quality. You’ll also be able to set a schedule for when the purifier should run.
We should mention that several users have reported experiencing some bugs with the App. So, we hope that Winix is rectifying that.
This air purifier is recommended for use in rooms with up to 360 sq. ft. It has a CADR of 233/240/230 cfm for dust, pollen, and smoke, respectively, and an ACH rating of 4x.
CADR is an acronym for Clean Air Delivery Rate. This is a measurement of how much air (in cubic feet) the air filter can clean.
ACH stands for Air Changes per Hour. This rating shows the number of times per hour that the device will exchange the air in the room.
Generally, this air purifier’s CADR and ACH ratings are quite impressive, especially at its price.
Designed to be used even in kid’s bedrooms, it’s not surprising that this air purifier is only 28 dB at its lowest fan speed setting.
It can reach noise levels of up to 55 dB when running on High and Turbo, though. While this noise level is noticeable, the best part is that you’ll rarely need to run the purifier on these high settings for too long.
Power consumption is a big concern with air purifiers since they are meant to run for hours on end. Most of them are super energy efficient, though, and the AM90 isn’t left out.
This unit has a power rating of 64 watts. This implies that you’ll be paying around $34 annually, assuming that you run it for 12 hours every day, and you are charged $0.12 per kilowatt-hour of electricity.
The major maintenance requirements for this air purifier will be to clean the pre-filters every 2 weeks or so. Of course, you’ll also need to replace the filters. The True HEPA filter will last you a whole year before replacement. The Activated Charcoal filter, on the other hand, needs to be replaced every 3 months.
The replacement filter for the AM90 is the Winix 115115 Replacement Filter A that has a reasonable price. This kit includes 1 True HEPA and 3 pieces of Activated Charcoal filters enough to cover you a whole year.
Warranty – The Winix AM90 comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Mobile App control
- Compatible with Alexa
- Effective and safe Plasmawave technology
- Whisper-quiet at low fan speed setting
- Frequent Activated Charcoal replacements
- Doesn’t turn itself on after an outage
- Turbo-fan speed can get a tad loud
AirHonest Review Verdict
The Winix AM90 is highly recommendable for homeowners who demand a functional air purifier but aren’t ready to shell out hundreds of dollars for one. Despite its lower price tag, this model still offers most of the features that we’d expect to see on high-end air purifiers: mobile App, air quality sensor and display, and a 4-stage filtration system.
It also has a notably larger coverage area compared to most air purification devices in this price range.
- Avoid placing it near electronics. This could cause electromagnetic interference when operating the purifier.
- Consider placing it near a corner to reduce trip hazards.
- If you are a smoker (or you live with one), placing the device behind the couch or near the ashtray will optimize its effectiveness.
- Avoid obstructing the air-in and air-out vents.
- Keep windows and doors shut to prevent more air pollutants from entering.
Winix AM90 Frequently Asked Questions
Plasmawave is a fancy name for ionization technology. So, yes- this model will create ozone. Importantly, Winix says that this air purifier’s emissions have been certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to be within very safe levels. Even better, there’s an option to turn off this function.
The Activated Charcoal filters should be replaced every 3 months. The True HEPA filter, on the other hand, has a lifespan of 1 year. These filters come as a kit (Winix 115115 Replacement Filter A) and cost around $50.
Yes. This air purifier is whisper-quiet at the lowest fan speed setting. There’s also an option to dim all the lights for a comfortable sleep.