AirHonest is supported by its readers. We may earn an affiliate commission when you buy through our links. Thanks ❤️
The RabbitAir MinusA2 is a model that will suit a specific user with a specific set of requirements in mind. On the other hand, it has some significant setbacks which others would see as deal-breakers.
Like all air purifiers, there are factors to be aware of before you commit to a purchase.
We have studied the features, pros, cons, overall design and key benefits so you can decide if it’s the right fit for you.
Design, Specifications and Aesthetic Review
The RabbitAir MinusA2 has an angular, flat, low-profile construction that resembles the size and shape of a small flat-screen TV. It offers versatile placement; mount it on the wall or set on a flat surface such as a floor or desk. The control panel sits vertically down one side, with a “mood light” panel across the center.
The overall aesthetic is sleek and modern.
Size: 20 x 21.4 x 7 inches
Weight: 19.5 pounds
Recommended positioning: can be wall-mounted or set on a hard surface
Noise: 25.6 – 51.3 decibels (Ultra Quiet)
Covering area: 815 square feet for non-allergy sufferers, 408 square feet for asthmatics and allergy sufferers who need the air purifier to focus on a smaller area so maximum allergens can be captured
Energy efficiency: consumes 7 – 61 watts depending on the regularity of usage and the fan speeds selected
Warranty: 5 years
The RabbitAir MinusA2 has a CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) of 200 for pollen, 193 for dust and 180 for smoke. CADR refers to the volume of air (in cubic feet per minute) which is cleaned and released by the air purifier.
How does it work?
Controls the power, fan speed, mood light on/off, negative ionizer on/off, and mode (Auto, Pollen)
Pollen Mode and Auto Mode change the fan speed according to the information gathered by the odor and particle sensors. Note that there is no dedicated “sleep mode”, but the auto mode dims the lights and uses the lowest fan speed when low light is detected.
This model is generous with fan speeds: turbo, high, medium, low and silent. Turbo is audible but intended for short bouts of usage. Overall, the fan speeds are quiet enough for noise-sensitive people.
Air quality indicator light
The light changes color according to information gathered by the odor sensor and particle sensor. Blue = great quality, red = bad
Filtration System Review
The RabbitAir MinusA2 is a stand-out model on the market as it features a 6-step filtration system. Most other popular models feature a 3 or 5-step system. Each filtration stage is designed to deal with a specific allergen type or particle size.
- Pre-filter: catches the largest allergens from the air (such as pet hair and dust)
- Medium filter: captures slightly smaller allergens such as mold spores and pollen
- BioGS HEPA filter: captures 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns in size. Stops live allergens such as mold, viruses, and bacteria from multiplying in the filter
- Customizable filter: choose from Germ Defence, Toxin Absorber, Pet Allergy or Odor Remover
- Activated charcoal carbon filter: removes odors and chemicals from the air (i.e. pet smells and cleaning chemicals)
- Negative Ion Generator: releases negative ions that attach themselves to allergens and particles in the air. This increases their weight so they can fall to the ground or onto surfaces and be cleaned away, or be sucked into the air purifier and trapped in the filter. The Negative Ion Generator can be turned off
Is it suitable for removing allergens and odors?
The customizable filter can somewhat change the effectiveness of the unit according to what you’re looking for. For example, the Pet Allergy filter helps people who find pet hair and dander overwhelming in terms of cleaning requirements and allergy symptoms.
Multiple reviews show that the MinusA2 can greatly improve allergy symptoms, especially upon waking in the morning when many people feel the most congested. Customers have commented that they use their inhaler far less frequently, and find themselves enjoying a more restful sleep with less coughing.
In saying that, there are also reports that the MinusA2 doesn’t quite draw as much dust from the air as users would like. Users have found that the filters are not as soiled with dust as they would expect, with reasonable amounts of dust remaining on their home’s surfaces during and after the unit has been in use.
What’s more, it is clear from multiple consumer reviews on Amazon that the RabbitAir MinusA2 is not effective at removing cigarette, cigar, and cooking-related smoke odors. This is the case even when the odor-reducing filter has been selected.
- 6 filter stages
- 5 fan speeds
- Customizable filter
- Auto mode
- Air quality indicator
- Pollen mode
- Filter reset light
- Mood light which indicates which mode is in operation
Cleaning and maintenance requirements
What is the cost per year for filter replacements? Where can I buy filters?
It depends on how often you use your unit and how soiled the filters become. For constant operation, the cost of filter replacements is in the mid-high range. Filter replacements can be found on Amazon, but be aware that some inauthentic filter packs are being sold. These are labeled as “compatible with” RabbitAir purifiers, but are not genuine RabbitAir filters.
How often do the filters need to be replaced?
The medium, bioGS HEPA, customizable and charcoal filters should be changed once a year. You may need to change them more regularly if they’re heavily soiled. They cannot be washed.
Can the filters be washed? And if so, how?
The pre-filter is the only washable filter. It can be vacuumed and rinsed with warm water before being thoroughly dried. It should be washed at least once a month.
Other cleaning and maintenance requirements
The mood light lens, particle sensor, air intake, and outlet all need to be gently cleaned with a soft brush and a damp cotton tip. These quick jobs must be done to ensure the unit can operate properly, and gathered dust doesn’t become redispersed into the room.
- 6 filtration steps
- Night/Sleep mode options
- Suitable for noise-sensitive people (Ultra Quiet)
- Versatile placement (wall-mount, floor or desk surfaces)
- Produces small amounts of ozone
- Does not remove cigarette smoke odor
- Weak suction doesn’t clear dust sufficiently
The RabbitAir MinusA2 Air Purifier is a comprehensive model with a thorough filtration system. It is not recommended for people who want their home rid of smoke odors, but it can make a big difference for people wanting to reduce asthma symptoms.
It offers quiet operation, sleep settings and smart features such as an air quality indicator if you like to monitor the state of the air in your home. If you want something which is sleek and can be mounted on the wall for out-of-the-way usage, it might be the one for you.
Yes, but in very small doses. With the fan speed on ‘low’, the negative ion generator will produce 0.002 parts-per-million. This is much less than the ozone limit outlined by the California Air Resource Board. When the negative ion generator is turned off, absolutely no ozone is released.
This refers to the usage of carbon black (a dangerous substance if inhaled) on the interior pieces of the RabbitAir MinusA2, specifically the rims of the filters. The warning is used to be transparent, but it doesn’t mean that the product is dangerous to use. Carbon black isn’t released into the air so poses no risk to you or your family.
The Pet Allergy filter is best for homes with pets, as dander is a strong asthma trigger. Otherwise, the Germ Defense Filter is best as it deals with asthma triggers such as mold.
You could also alternate between the two filters according to the seasons. During the Summer season when pets are shedding more heavily, use the Pet Allergy option. Switch to the Germ Defense option when Winter sets in, bringing an increased risk of mold in your home.
Top 5 Tips for Using the RabbitAir MinusA2 Air Purifier
- The Mood Light and Negative Ion Generator are controlled with the same button. Press and release quickly to turn off the mood light, and hold down to turn the Negative Ion Generator off or on
- The Filter Reset Button also switches the Mode. One quick press will change the mode, while a held-down press will reset the Replace Filter light. Reset the replace filter light each time you switch out the filters, as it will start the 12-month timer again
- Keep the filter frame when switching out an old medium filter for a new one. The replacement filter doesn’t come with a frame as the original one is reusable
- If you damage the unit when wall-mounting it, the warranty doesn’t apply. Get a professional to do the job if you’re not 100% sure you can do it safely and correctly
- Design, Specifications and Aesthetic Review
- How does it work?
- Filtration System Review
- Is it suitable for removing allergens and odors?
- Cleaning and maintenance requirements
- Review Verdict
- Top 5 Tips for Using the RabbitAir MinusA2 Air Purifier