AirHonest is supported by its readers. We may earn an affiliate commission when you buy through our links. Thanks ❤️
The Pure Cool TPO4 is the latest addition to Dyson’s collection of premium purifying tower fans. This is an advanced unit that works as a fan, a purifier, and an air quality sensor.
So, does its performance justify its price tag? Is there anything else that you need to know before purchasing it?
Well, let’s find out in this in-depth Dyson TP04 Pure Cool review.
Check TP04 on Amazon (Link Opens in a New Tab)
Dyson TP04 Air Purifier is Best For:
- Those who want versatility– this is a 2-in-1 model that combines an air purifier and a fan. It also offers several operation modes including Auto Mode, Night Mode, and a Reverse Airflow Mode. The latter circulates clean air around the room without creating the cooling effect. This mode simply means that you’ll be able to use the TP04 pretty much all around the year.
- Smart home and office owners– this is a smart purifier that can connect to your mobile phone using Wi-Fi and the free iOS/Android Dyson Link App.
From the App, a sensor on the purifier can send you real-time reports of the quality of air in your home or office. The App also gives you a real-time analysis of the quality of air wherever you are.
These reports include the levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2), allergens (PM10), and ultrafine particles (PM2.5).
- Those who suffer from allergy or asthma- by integrating air quality sensors and True HEPA filters, it’s clear that the Dyson Pure Cool TP04 is all about clean air.
HEPA stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air. Essentially, a HEPA filter is capable of removing 99% of air contaminants that are 2 microns or larger. However, for a filter to be labeled as a True HEPA, it should be able to remove 99.97% of unwanted particles as small as 0.3 microns. These include pet dander and dust.
This model is also great at relieving asthma symptoms thanks to its ability to purify the air, and then circulate it all around the room. While it won’t reduce the number of attacks, most previous users report that it has made breathing much easier.
Technical Analysis Review
The TP04 will arrive in a large box with everything you need to get it going;
- Inner Activated carbon filter
- True HEPA filter
- Remote control
The assembly process is perhaps the easiest part of this tower fan. You only need to snap the 2 filters into place on the base of the tower. This won’t require any tool and pretty much anyone can do it in a breeze.
Construction and Design Review
The Pure Cool TP04 is a tall and slim fan that also works as an air purifier. It features Dyson’s signature hollow-tower shape, only that this one is notably slimmer and taller than that of the Pure Hot+Cool models.
The glossy white top shell and the silver base give this tower fan an incredible sense of style. You can also get it in 2 other color combinations: iron/blue and black/nickel.
The eye-catching design of this tower is made complete by a small circular LCD on the base. This display offers a ton of information regarding purifier operation and indoor air quality.
With an intent to push the boundaries of purifier fan technology, Dyson uses an Amplifier for this model. This is a high-end feature that Dyson uses most of its air improvement appliances in place of rotating blades.
Size, Weight, and Placement Review
The Dyson Pure Cool TP04 is a floor tower fan measuring 8.8’’ in diameter and 41.5’’ in height. It’s quite heavy at 10.98 pounds (roughly 5kgs). But that shouldn’t be an issue if you won’t be moving it around often. This brings us to placement.
As a floor tower, there’s virtually no limitation when it comes to placing this unit in a room. It boils down to how intrusive or invisible you want it to be. In our opinion, however, the design of this purifier tower fan is worth displaying.
If your living room, bedroom, or office setting allows you to position the purifier in the middle of the room, then that would be the ideal position. Otherwise, you are better off placing it either at the front alongside your entertainment system or towards the corner.
How the Dyson TP04 Works
This purifier tower fan uses the bottom-to-top airflow mechanism. It sucks untreated air from the base and then through its 2-stage filtration system.
The filtration system consists of a True HEPA kit with a 99.97% efficiency in removing air contaminants up to 0.3 microns small. These include mold spores, pet dander, pollen, and dust.
Next, the air passes through the Activated Carbon filter that removes smells and odors. The purified air is then dispersed out through the air circulation loop by the radial amp.
All the controls and settings are done using either the remote, the Dyson App, or voice control using Alexa.
The remote has easy-to-understand pictograms that illustrate what each button does. It fits in the hands nicely, and all the buttons are in a precise pattern for easy use. We also like that the remote attaches at the top of the purifier magnetically- this reduces the chances of misplacing it.
Using the remote, you can;
- Switch the fan ON/OFF
- Turn on Auto Mode
- Turn on Sleep Mode
- Cycle through the fan speeds (1-10)
- Oscillate the air circulation loop (00-3500)
- Reverse airflow (forward or backward)
- Use the ‘’I’’ button to go through the display readouts
The free iOS/Android Dyson App makes the remote almost unnecessary. It not only features all the controls on the remote but it also;
- Gives you a real-time report of the air quality wherever you are
- Provides a real-time report of the air quality at home/office via the sensor on the purifier
- Lets you make automatic on/off air purification settings
- Gives you access to Dyson firmware updates
Using Alexa commands, you can turn the purifier ON and OFF, and also turn on Auto Mode. In addition, you can enquire about indoor air quality. This way, you won’t need to reach for your phone or walk to the tower for the readings on the display window.
We are great fans of this purifier’s 3 operating modes;
- Custom Mode– it lets you choose your preferred fan speed setting from 1-10. You can also set the base to oscillate between 00 450, 900, 1800, and 3500 and even change the direction of airflow from forward to backward. The backward airflow mode reverses the airflow. So, it does not create the cooling effects. This is what makes the tower fan great even for chilly winters.
- Auto Mode– in this mode, a sensor integrated into the purifier will detect the air quality indoors and adjust the fan speed accordingly.
- Night Mode– this mode dims the display. It also keeps the fan speed to level 4 even when the purifier is on Auto. This helps in keeping the noise level down for a smooth sleep. However, you can manually increase the speed on hot summer nights, or if you like white noise.
Dyson says that the Pure Cool TP04 can cover an area of up to 400 sq.ft. This makes it an excellent air purifier for large rooms. Unfortunately, the radial amp that it uses does not let out a strong and wide airflow as a bladed fan would. As such, this appliance might take some time to cool the room down when used as a fan, especially during the summer.
It scores highly in terms of air purification, though. The manufacturer says that this unit projects 77 gallons of purified air per second. Whether this is just another marketing hype or not, the air quality sensors on the purifier take around 45 minutes to report the air as having moved from ‘fair’ to ‘good’ in a 180 sq.ft room.
Is TP04 noisy?
As with any other fan, this unit’s noise output varies with speed. At lower speed settings (1-4), it is whisper quiet.
In higher settings of 7-10, the noise level becomes more pronounced and could reach 57 dB when the fan is running at full speed. But remember there’s a night mode that keeps the speed at 4 when using the fan in the bedroom.
Maintenance and Filter Replacement
The only major maintenance that the Pure Cool TP04 calls for is filter replacement. Dyson suggests replacing the filters once every year assuming that the purifier runs for 12 hours every day.
Importantly, they also recommend using the original Dyson replacement filter kit part number 969048-01 to ensure optimal performance. Although a little bit pricey, these kits are notably thicker- no wonder they can last a whole year before the need for replacement.
In case you want to clean your Dyson fan;
- Turn off and unplug the power cord
- Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe the shell, and a soft brush to unblock the intake holes
Support and Warranty
Upon delivery, you’ll have 14 days within which you can return the product for a refund. If you opt to keep it, you’ll have 2 years of warranty on parts and free labor, and 5 years warranty on lighting.
- Great design
- Accurate air quality sensors
- Superior and easy to use App
- Lots of control options (remote, App, and Alexa)
- Several convenient operation modes
- 3500 oscillation
- The fan is loud at top speeds
- Average air cooling performance
- Several negative reports of inaccurate odor detection
The Dyson Pure Cool TP04 is quite costly for a purifier. However, we feel that it justifies its high price tag both in terms of design and operations. Among other features that we can’t stop raving about include its real-time air quality reports and versatile App.
We also like its multiple operation modes, especially the Auto and Night modes, as well as the reverse airflow option.
Frequently Asked Questions
Although sold as a completely different model, the DP04 has all the features of the TP04 but in a smaller footprint.
Unfortunately, these sensors will only detect VOCs and NO2. So, you might want to invest in a standalone CO2 level detector.
Assuming that the tower runs for 12 hours every day, Dyson recommends replacing both filters at least once per year using the replacement part number 969048-01. The filter replacement costs are reasonably low and translate to a very low cost per day.
Top TP04 Use Tips
- If white noise helps you sleep better, consider setting the fan speed at around 5 to 7
- The Dyson App is free for iOS and Android users. Install it on your phone. It will make your life much easier as it incorporates the LED and remote control functions
- Don’t use the fan without filters as this may cause damage to the radial amp besides voiding the warranty
- Always use Dyson replacement filters
- If possible, consider plugging it directly into a powered wall socket